Resources on faith, spiritual witnesses, and epistemology
last update: 2023-01-10
- Spiritual Witnesses (youtube)
- Testimonies of Other Faiths (collection of anecdotes)
- Psychology related to spiritual experiences (LDS professor Jesse James)
- Can prayer determine the will of God? (preliminary study)
- Elevation Emotion Studies (compilation of peer reviewed research )
Analyses, interpretations, or questions
- Testimony, spiritual experiences, and truth: A careful examination (analysis)
- Testimony / Feeling the Spirit (Mormon Stories resource page)
- Questions to Ask: section on Spiritual Confirmation and Priesthood Guidance
- The parts of an LDS spiritual experience (short analysis)
- Hermetically Sealed Systems in LDS Thought (pdf)
- “A Different Way of Knowing”: The uses of irrationality … and its limitations” (Greta Christina essay)
- How do you know?
- Comment on “salt” (reddit post)
- On epistemology from DebateAnAtheist (reddit post)
- Another circularity (reddit post)
- 5 Questions about spiritual experiences and real intent
- Appeals to Personal Experience (Matt Dillahunty lecture)
- Dealing with “Inner Witness” claims (Matt Dillahunty)
- Counter apologetics: CA42 Argument From Personal Experience (podcast)
- Faith vs. religious faith
- What are the goods of “elective faith” (reddit post)
- The Triple Path (especially chapter 5)
- MormonThink - Testimony & Spiritual Witnesses
- Brian Dunning - Principles of Curiosity (youtube)
- Comment on evidence
- Fuzzy_Thoughts and Craytun1 discuss witnesses and epistemology
- Reinterpreting spiritual experiences
- Critique of Mormonado’s “Faith is NOT belief” episode
Special insight and amazing coincidences
- Brian Dunning - Precognition (youtube, beginning at ~19:55) Original analysis by Charpak and Broch
- Derren Brown - Cold Readings (youtube, relates to patriarchal and priesthood blessings)
- Derren Brown - “Intervention” experiment (youtube, demonstrates that we see intervention if we look for it regardless of whether an agent is responsible).
Street epistemology sessions with Latter-day Saints:
- Street Knowledge
- with Missionaries (Street Knowledge)
- with Sister Missionaries | Praying for confirmation (Street Knowledge)
- Deep Discussions
- Anthony Magnabosco
- FairMormon - Can We Trust Our Feelings
- FairMormon - Is the “burning in the bosom” a reliable method of determining truth?
- FairMormon - Why do I “feel the spirit” when watching movies?
- FairMormon - “Feeling the spirit” while listening to ex-Mormon “exit stories”
Conflict of Justice
- Why Did Latter-Day Saints ‘Feel The Spirit’ From Paul H. Dunn’s Made-Up Stories?
- Is God’s Method Of Revealing Truth Through ‘Feelings’ Effective?
- Why Does Following The Holy Ghost Sometimes Lead To Failure?
- Can We Feel The Spirit From R-Rated Movies?
Uplift Community of Faith
acknowledgement: Many of these were first compiled into list form by /u/fuzzy_thoughts here including several posts and videos that I wasn’t previously aware of. He also alerted me to one of the street epistemology videos and the Dunning videos.