On May 7, 2017, in a ward somewhere in Eagle Mountain, Utah, a girl named Savannah got up and bore her testimony. Before she could finish she was asked/told to sit down. She explains her motivation here.
Here was what she said (statements are numbered for reference):
- Hi my name is Savannah, and I want to share my testimony with you.
- I believe I am a child of heavenly parents.
- I don’t know if they talk to us
- but I feel in my heart that they made me and that they love me.
- I believe I was made the way I am, all parts of me, by my heavenly parents.
- They did not mess up when they gave me brown eyes or when I was born bald.
- They did not mess up when they gave me freckles or when they made me to be gay.
- God loves me just this way, because I believe that he loves all his creations.
- I do believe he made me this way on purpose.
- No part of me is a mistake.
- I do not choose to be this way, and it is not a fad.
- I cannot make someone else gay and being around me won’t make anyone else this way.
- I believe that God wants us to treat each other with kindness, even if people are different.
- Especially if they are different.
- Christ showed us this.
- I believe that we should just love.
- I believe I am good.
- I try my best to be nice to each other adn stick up for those that are hurting.
- I know I’m not a horrible sinner for being who I am.
- I believe God would tell me if I was wrong.
- I hope someday to go on dates, go to school dances, to hold hands, to go off to college.
- I hope to find a partner and have a great job.
- I hope to get married and have a family.
- I know these dreams and wishes are good and right.
- I know I can have all of these things as a lesbian and be happy.
- I believe that if God is there, he knows I am perfect, just the way I am.
- and would never ask me to live my life alone or with someone I am not attracted to.
- He would want me to be happy.
- I want to be happy.
- I want to love myself and not to feel shame for being me.
I ask you…
[Stake Presidency member]
Can you sit down?
Brothers and sisters, I ask you to recognize that we are all children of God, we are loved by our Heavenly Father. And, I have no doubt that Heavenly Father has made us all unique in different ways and for that I am grateful. And, I am grateful for all of you that are here today as sons and daughters of God. And I know very much and I’m grateful for Heavenly Father’s plan for us. And I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.
[Conclusion - the rest of what Savannah had prepared but was unable to deliver]
- I ask that you all pay close attention to what you say, you never know who is listening.
- I had dreams of going to the temple and getting married, and was very sad when I found out that would never happen for me.
- Today I choose to find my joy outside of my old dreams from when I was little. I have new dreams and I know my earthly parents and my Heavenly parents love and accept me just the way I am. Amen.